Two-goal Tyler has Truro City FC teetering on the edge of step two survival

the image is a photograph of Truro City FC's Tyler, walking across the pitch with a hand up in celebration.
Picture: Joe Allen / CHAOS Radio

🎧 Prefer to listen to a story? We’ve got you… listen here! Or on our player down below👇🏼

Truro City FC closed in on survival in National League South following an inspired 3-1 triumph over a previously in-form Maidstone United, writes Tom Howe.

The record books will show this as a home win for the White Tigers, despite it being played 200 miles away at Meadow Park, home to Gloucester City.

Whilst the club awaits completion of their new base at the Truro Sports Hub in Largarth, their three year nomadic status has taken them to Plymouth, Taunton and now to Gloucester, with multiple postponements and rearrangements leading to an incredible ten games needing to be played in just 20 days. 

Not for the first time however, Truro thrived in the face of adversity and took the lead inside half an hour with Tyler Harvey (pictured) turning home a pass from Dan Rooney. They shocked their promotion chasing visitors with a second strike moments later, as Dan Sullivan shot past Lucas Covolan.

Maidstone, unbeaten in nine matches, huffed and puffed in the second half without seriously testing Truro goalkeeper James Hamon and conceded a third late on when Harvey converted from the penalty spot following a foul on substitute Dominic Johnson-Fisher.

The Stones, managed by former Wolverhampton Wanderers and Nottingham Forest defender George Elokobi, did pull a goal back right at the death through Raphe Brown but the day belonged to Truro and their two-goal striker Harvey, who joined CHAOS Radio at the full-time whistle.

“We haven’t really been getting the results our performances deserved but today we definitely were good for the win,” he said. “I think when a team gives you an inch, you have to take a yard and, having the wind in the first half, we knew we were going to have more chance of getting some goals then. 

“Luckily, we got two and at good times as well – both in the middle of the half – and saw it out. The second half was going to be totally different. It is a game of two halves and it played out that way but we managed to dig in and get the result we deserved.

“[Maidstone] are a top side. They are full-time so are training every day. We played them at their place and lost 2-1 [in December] but we were well in the game. Sometimes certain teams suit the way you play and I feel like they kind of did today. We were really good for the win and got what we deserved.

“You have got to accept the fact that you are going to have to defend and put your body on the line and we have lads that will do that all day long. We gifted them a goal with a minute to go but other than that, I can’t really remember any clear-cut chances from them.”

The ex-Plymouth Argyle and Bath City marksman, who hadn’t taken a penalty since last season’s play-off semi-final shootout win against Poole Town, admitted their first season back at step two of the English football league system has been one of ‘madness’.

“It has been a rollercoaster for sure,” he continued. “I think anyone dealing with what we have had chucked in front of us would find it mad but we have a great group. 

“We spend a lot of time together and everyone gets on really well. I think that is a big factor in getting through it.

“It is a bit of a joke, really. Two games in two days last week. I mean, what can you say? Thankfully we got what we deserved today and are a step closer [to avoiding relegation].

“It will be really nice to bring this level of football [back to Truro City FC] but we are not there yet. Nothing is ever easy for us but we will keep plugging away.”

Under the new ownership of a Canadian consortium, led by club chairman Eric Perez, Truro expect to be back playing in the city for the start of the 2023-24 campaign, which begins in August.

Before then however, Paul Wotton’s charges must first see the back of this season, with consecutive ‘home’ ties against Dover (Tuesday) and Weymouth (Thursday), ahead of visiting Dartford on the final day (Saturday).

“Another three games next week,” smiled Harvey, whose brace took him to 12 goals for the campaign. “That is less than this week, so it is an easy week next week, apparently.”

To learn more about Truro City FC, you can find their website here.